From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: DESCRIPTION="Based on the ${ECLASS} eclass"
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2012 15:08:29
1 Rick \"Zero_Chaos\" Farina posted on Fri, 14 Sep 2012 19:43:42 -0400 as
2 excerpted:
3
4 > If anyone wants to explain to me why that DESCRIPTION line is so
5 > critical that it must exist yet not important enough to put something
6 > worthwhile in I'm all ears. Until that point I'll probably keep bringing
7 > this up.
8
9 Did you read the up-thread link Ciaran posted?
10
11 http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/78813/
12
13 IOW, it's legacy. They could probably "disappear", if anybody was
14 willing to spend the time investigating, then fixing anything that broke
15 when the lines "disappeared". But it's simply easier to go with "don't
16 fix what's not broken", and just leave it be. Let someone else take that
17 risk.
18
19 But as long as any breakage "magically disappeared" to wherever the
20 DESCRIPTIONs went, I don't expect there'd be many complaints...
25 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman