From: Gustavo de Lama <solouno@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP33: Eclass restructure
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 15:57:41
1 Please, excuse me!
2
3 This is my first mail to any Gentoo list and I should be introducing
4 myself as the perfect unknown I am but, instead of it, I feel as if,
5 with the simple mindedness of the just arrived, were about to say aloud
6 the emperor to be nude.
7
8 The matter is I cant but give my two cents and say: SLOT.
9
10 Again, I ask for your forgiveness in case this has already been
11 discussed here. I have tried, and not been able to find any trace of it.
12
13 To make my point, let me say all I know about software engineering:
14 There are small "maintenance" changes, mostly bug crunching and,
15 perhaps, security incidences, that get by with a make number (the one
16 after the second dot in the version code). Then, you can find
17 functionality or packaging changes that deserve a new release number
18 (the one to the right of the first dot), even when some companies prefer
19 to call them "service packages". And, when something needs real
20 revamping, then comes the version number, the one that comes before any
21 dot in the version code.
22
23 The first example to justify a version bump is breakage of backward
24 compatibility, so... IMHO, this restructure means a new version. And it
25 is for new versions that slots came to be. So that you can yet use and
26 maintain the old version, while the new one stabilizes and begins to
27 produce its rewards (It is not without perils that you reuse the
28 name-space with something that is truly a different application, even if
29 with a functionality akin the one before).
30
31 This way, you could perfectly use the old slot to unmerge what it
32 merged, and the very Portage should get rid of it when it were no more
33 necessary.
34
35 If, after a time, any package would depend on the new slot and were
36 incompatible with the old one, that should only mean that, anybody to
37 use it, had to renounce to the backward version at all. Then, you have
38 to take your chances: it exists the possibility of beginning a new
39 Portage tree free of packages that depend on the old version, just to be
40 sure that there is a clean installation and migration path... and I
41 think that only with the slot solution may you be sure of this without
42 the wood.
43
44 Well, to conclude, slots are a small headache and not even completely
45 well supported by Portage, but I think now is the moment to consider
46 using them and, if, because of it, you end with a better understanding
47 and support for them, so the better. Quality is hard to begin with but,
48 at last, it pays for itself.
49
50 Thank you for your indulgence.
51