From: Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Vanilla sources stabilization policy change
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2013 17:54:47
1 Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > > As has been stated, this implies that Gentoo QA has tested the packages
3 > > and found them to be reasonably safe for use.
4 >
5 > ++
6
7 While good in theory, it seems that newer v-s are actually more
8 "reasonably safe" than any g-s.
11 > Stable should mean something
12
13 For users, stable means "older" in practice. Always did, always will.
16 > If gentoo-sources is where our stable efforts will be, then the
17 > keywords should reflect this. We're not getting rid of
18 > vanilla-sources.
19
20 Ideally distribution efforts to stabilize packages should go
21 upstream instead of staying within the distribution.
22
23 Sadly not all upstreams are competent enough to handle that. :\
26 //Peter