From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Vanilla sources stabilization policy change
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2013 20:10:28
1 On Wed, 24 Jul 2013 19:54:10 +0200
2 Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se> wrote:
3
4 > Rich Freeman wrote:
5 > > > As has been stated, this implies that Gentoo QA has tested the
6 > > > packages and found them to be reasonably safe for use.
7 > >
8 > > ++
9 >
10 > While good in theory, it seems that newer v-s are actually more
11 > "reasonably safe" than any g-s.
12
13 Depends; a version like 3.10.0 could introduce 0-days that might not get
14 fixed till 3.10.6, whereas a version like 3.9.11 received many fixes
15 and doesn't have these 0-days yet. Reasonably safe is subjective.
16
17 But that's just "safe" as in security, there's also "safe" as in
18 stable; versions like 3.10.0 - 3.10.2 come with a lot of rewrites, new
19 features and what not, a collection of stuff that was just written and
20 just passed the release candidate and stable queue. 3.10.0 breaks stuff.
21
22 Fixes for the introduced bugs will take a few more releases; that
23 3.10.3 that comes up? A whopping 100+ patches. Compare that to a version
24 like 3.9.11 that has not seen anything new and received lots of fixes.
25
26 This is why, for gentoo-sources, we pick kernels near the end of a
27 branch; they can be seen as more secure and stable than the latest
28 upstream stable kernel, especially since we backport important security
29 fixes. Like for instance has been seen with 3.7 and similar.
30
31 Now, you might wonder, why not stabilize 3.10.6 instead of waiting for
32 something like 3.10.12 that could be EOL? Well, while that is certainly
33 something we would like to do, and I have tried in the past; it didn't
34 work out because the stabilization teams are a bit undermanned to keep
35 up with stabilizing kernels this frequently. Don't forget there is
36 hardened-sources, you can see that they also have one kernel per
37 branch; their last stable kernel, awfully sits at 3.9.5. So...
38
39 Arch teams need more resources; as in man power and machine power.
42 With kind regards,
43
44 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
45 Gentoo Developer
46
47 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
48 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
49 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D