From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Portage dependency solving algorithm (WAS: Regarding my final year thesis)
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2014 17:36:24
1 On 11/07/2014 01:42 AM, Jauhien Piatlicki wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > On 11/06/2014 02:43 PM, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
5 >>
6 >> If you're going to go the toolkit route, you should be using a CP
7 >> solver, not a SAT solver. But even then you'd be better off making some
8 >> changes and not using plain old MAC, so you're back to writing the
9 >> algorithms yourself.
10 >>
11 >> What you need is for someone who understands CP and SAT to write a
12 >> resolver using algorithms inspired by how CP and SAT solvers work, but
13 >> not just blindly copying them. Doing this well is at least a full year
14 >> Masters level project...
17 > Yeah, you are right.
18 >
19 > What I am interested in is an overview of what algorithm we are using
20 > now. Do we have any documentation about it? As I really would like to
21 > look at some concise document rather than sources.
22
23 If you install sys-apps/portage with USE=doc, it includes this
24 documentation which gives an overview of the portage's dependency
25 resolver algorithms:
26
27 http://dev.gentoo.org/~zmedico/portage/doc/pt02.html
28
29 > Also may be we need to discuss how can we improve it, as at the moment
30 > for me it seems one of the biggest problems with Gentoo. And afaik
31 > paludis does not solve it (or am I wrong?)
32 --
33 Thanks,
34 Zac