From: Jauhien Piatlicki <jauhien@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Portage dependency solving algorithm (WAS: Regarding my final year thesis)
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2014 09:42:58
1 Hi,
2
3 On 11/06/2014 02:43 PM, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
4 >
5 > If you're going to go the toolkit route, you should be using a CP
6 > solver, not a SAT solver. But even then you'd be better off making some
7 > changes and not using plain old MAC, so you're back to writing the
8 > algorithms yourself.
9 >
10 > What you need is for someone who understands CP and SAT to write a
11 > resolver using algorithms inspired by how CP and SAT solvers work, but
12 > not just blindly copying them. Doing this well is at least a full year
13 > Masters level project...
16 Yeah, you are right.
17
18 What I am interested in is an overview of what algorithm we are using
19 now. Do we have any documentation about it? As I really would like to
20 look at some concise document rather than sources.
21
22 Also may be we need to discuss how can we improve it, as at the moment
23 for me it seems one of the biggest problems with Gentoo. And afaik
24 paludis does not solve it (or am I wrong?)
27 Jauhien