From: "Łukasz P. Michalik" <bronksos@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: language bindings as separate packages
Date: Thu, 01 May 2008 15:46:27
1 Ever heard of use dependencies? Way you are proposing this is just
2 more work and no solutions to real problems.
3
4 On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 5:09 PM, Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@×××××.de> wrote:
5 >
6 > Hi folks,
9 > while building yum, I again ran into trouble because one
10 > dependency has to be rebuilt with an specific useflag first
11 > (in this case it was libxml2 + python useflag). Actually,
12 > there are *lots* of these cases and (AFAIK) portage has no
13 > way for properly handling this - it's up to the individual
14 > ebuilds to check for those situations and artifically breaking
15 > the build. Of coure, breaking builds are ugly.
16 >
17 > My suggestion: make those language bindings being separate
18 > packages. So, other packages can depend on them directly,
19 > instead of the current, build-breaking hack.
20 >
21 > I'm not advocating gentoo should do this step alone, but
22 > instead join in the upstream and solve it there.
25 > cu
28 Thanks
29 ŁM