From: George Shapovalov <george@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] gcc-3.3.1-r1
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2003 22:54:19
1 Well, not directly related to this issue, but related to gcc. So I'll reply to
2 this thread in the hope of catching attention of all parties touching gcc
3 ebuilds.
4
5 Please, do not add "ada" to gcc_lang definition in ebuilds, as per #25178!
6 This is getting rediculous - the moment I clean-up ebuilds I see "ada" popping
7 in in a newer version :).
8 Having "ada" supplied will not add ada support to gcc. That involves quite a
9 bit more: an ada-enabled bootstrap compiler (this is why this does not make
10 any difference to majority of users) of a very specific version and certain
11 additional procedure (this is why gcc build fails on users who have gnat
12 installed). Even if time i taken to "fix" gcc ebuilds to support the supplied
13 ada, this will yield only alpha-quality implementation, - quite undesirable
14 for this language.
15
16 Please note, we now have ada supported separately from the main gcc tree.
17 Please check out dev-lang/gnat for stable 3.14/3.15 version (gcc-2.8.2 based)
18 and late cvs-snapshot of gnat-5.0 (gcc-3.2 based, package-masked atm). These
19 use the code directly from the ACT (gnat developers) and this stuff does not
20 interfere with gcc installations in a slightest - so you can have completely
21 stable versions of both ;).
22
23 George
24