From: tprado <tprado@×××××××.net>
To: Burton Samograd <kruhft@×××××××××××××.org>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] new gentoo-sources kernels (r5+)
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 22:56:11
1 I haven't had any problems with the gentoo kernel sources. I have r9 on
2 a couple machines. r7 on another and a custom ACPI enabled kernel
3 (http://sourceforge.net/projects/acpi) on my laptop based off the
4 vanilla 2.4.19 (with 2.4.20-pre5 patched in).
5
6 It sounds like you're probably making a simple mistake somewhere in your
7 kernel upgrade somewhere.
8
9 My usual kernel install procedure is:
10
11 #cd /usr/portage/sys-kernel/...
12 #ebuild <insert kernel ebuild version here> merge (so it won't
13 unmerge any older ones)
14 #cd /usr/src/linux-<version>
15 #cp /usr/src/linux/.config .
16 #make oldconfig
17 #make dep && make clean bzImage modules modules_install
18 #cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/gentoo<version>-<my-build#>.img
19 #cp System.map /boot/System.map-<version>-<my-build#>
20 #cd /usr/src
21 #rm linux
22 #ln -s linux-<version> linux
23 #cd /boot
24 #rm System.map
25 #ln -s System.map-<version>-<my-build#> System.map
26 edit /etc/lilo.conf for the new version (okay, I still use lilo :-)
27 #lilo
28 #shutdown -r now
29
30 Wow, I actually do all that? I've never written it all down before :-)
31
32 I don't have /boot in it's own partition in my setup...
33
34 It's gonna be something silly, I'm sure :-)
35
36 Good luck,
37 Tom
40 Burton Samograd wrote:
41
42 >Hi,
43 >
44 >Is it just me, or are the new gentoo-sources unusable? I just went
45 >through hell trying to get one of them to boot with absolutely no
46 >sucess. I kept getting "Cannot find init errors" to "* respawning too
47 >quickly" to whatever you could think of. I've never had this many
48 >problems with installing a kernel in my life, and I'm wondering if I'm
49 >doing something dreadfully wrong or if these new sources are just
50 >really unstable with all the patches installed.
51 >
52 >Just to let you know, i'm not experiencing newbie mistakes as i've
53 >been using linux for over 8 years and never had a kernel not boot
54 >unless it was something stupid on my part. I did everything in my
55 >experience to get these darn things working and well...they just don't
56 >for me. Anybody else having problems like this?
57 >
58 >Oh, and the linux-beta sources also won't boot either, but those are
59 >beta and i don't expect anything from them :)
60 >
61 >burton