From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: splitting virtual/
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 10:18:35
1 On Tue, 16 Aug 2011 03:01:26 -0700
2 Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o> wrote:
3 > On 08/16/2011 02:32 AM, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
4 > > On Tue, 16 Aug 2011 00:19:38 -0700
5 > > Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o> wrote:
6 > >>> Isn't that another, ugly, non-PMS hack which makes people think
7 > >>> they are creating correct packages?
8 > >>
9 > >> Are you saying that you'd prefer to have package managers pull in
10 > >> redundant packages for not good reason?
11 > >
12 > > No, package managers should get things right regardless of whether
13 > > something is in the 'virtual/' category or not. If they can't get
14 > > things right, then we need to supply them with more data.
15 >
16 > Consider the virtual/jre and virtual/jdk case. Suppose that
17 > virtual/jdk isn't installed for some reason, but dev-java/sun-jdk
18 > which satisfies it is already installed. In this case, unless you
19 > know that virtual/jdk is zero-cost, it's not clear that it costs less
20 > to install virtual/jdk than to install dev-java/sun-jre-bin. There
21 > may be lots of cases like this where zero-cost metadata would be
22 > useful.
23
24 Uh huh, so rather than adding in a hack, we need a proper way of
25 identifying those cases.
28 Ciaran McCreesh