From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: splitting virtual/
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 10:02:54
1 On 08/16/2011 02:32 AM, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Tue, 16 Aug 2011 00:19:38 -0700
3 > Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o> wrote:
4 >>> Isn't that another, ugly, non-PMS hack which makes people think they
5 >>> are creating correct packages?
6 >>
7 >> Are you saying that you'd prefer to have package managers pull in
8 >> redundant packages for not good reason?
9 >
10 > No, package managers should get things right regardless of whether
11 > something is in the 'virtual/' category or not. If they can't get
12 > things right, then we need to supply them with more data.
13
14 Consider the virtual/jre and virtual/jdk case. Suppose that virtual/jdk
15 isn't installed for some reason, but dev-java/sun-jdk which satisfies it
16 is already installed. In this case, unless you know that virtual/jdk is
17 zero-cost, it's not clear that it costs less to install virtual/jdk than
18 to install dev-java/sun-jre-bin. There may be lots of cases like this
19 where zero-cost metadata would be useful.
20
21 > And most importantly, you need to stop adding in short-sighted hacks to
22 > 'fix' one bug at the expense of consistency and quality.
23
24 Call it what you want, but the behavior that I implemented for bug
25 141118 seems relatively optimal to me.
26 --
27 Thanks,
28 Zac