From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] <non-maintainer-commits-welcome/> proposal
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2022 23:57:40
1 On Wed, Jul 06, 2022 at 02:42:34PM +0200, Florian Schmaus wrote:
2 > On 04/07/2022 17.27, David Seifert wrote:
3 > > Ultimately, all these things really matter when only the defaults
4 > > change. Turn-right-on-red in the US is such a thing, because unless
5 > > otherwise stated, it's the norm. Knowing our devbase, with roughly 75%
6 > > mostly AWOL and barely reading the MLs, I don't think this idea will
7 > > bring about the desired change.
8 >
9 > This sounds like you assume that the majority of Gentoo devs are OK with
10 > other people making changes to their packages. This very well could be
11 > true, but without an indication you never know if the maintainer feels
12 > this way.
13
14 I was on vacation when this thread started, so that's why I'm responding
15 now.
16
17 The default assumption according to the dev manual is that maintainers
18 are not ok with others touching their packages without permission except
19 for very trivial changes. IMO this is the safer default.
20
21 https://devmanual.gentoo.org/general-concepts/package-maintainers/index.html
25 > > Instead, we should really just go for
26 > > the <non-maintainer-commits-disallowed/> tag, because my feeling is that
27 > > the default will be that most maintainers don't mind non-maintainer
28 > > commits, except a select few territorial ones.
29 >
30 > It appears that we have at least two options here:
31 >
32 > A) Establish that the default is non-maintainer-commits-welcome, and
33 > introduce a <non-maintainer-commits-disallowed/> metadata element.
34
35 This would go against the default from the dev manual, so if we go with
36 it, which I do not recommend, we should fix the dev manual.
37
38 > B) Declare the default to be unspecified and introduce two metadata
39 > elements: <non-maintainer-commits-welcome/> and
40 > <non-maintainer-commits-disallowed/>.
41 >
42 > I think you are proposing A) here, but please correct me if I am wrong.
43 >
44 > Personally I would tend to B). But I have no strong opinion on this, as
45 > long as some kind of signalling is established.
46 >
47 > How do others feel about this?
48
49 I would suggest the default be consistent with the dev manual and we add
50 a <non-maintainer-commits-welcome/> element.
51
52 William