From: Patrick McLean <chutzpah@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] .gitignore
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2015 04:17:41
1 On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 07:43:24 -0700
2 Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o> wrote:
3 >
4 > No, there clearly should be some things that are commonly present
5 > that should never be committed. Those common things should be in a
6 > global .gitignore. I did not read the entire thread(s) but it seemed
7 > there was more bikeshedding that was necessary. I had not seen
8 > mention of an alternate git ignore setting that could be used without
9 > the need to have a locally modified .gitignore that someone must
10 > constantly refrain from committing with git constantly reminding them
11 > it has been modified and lest they be chastised for committing it ;)
14 We should have common editor artifacts and backup files in there, I
15 generally use this in just about every repository I touch:
16
17 *~
18 .*.sw[po]
19 .*.un~
20 *#
21 .#*
22
23 This should cover vim and emacs, if there other editors that like to
24 drop files around, we should consider adding those as well.0