From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: Michael Haubenwallner <haubi@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Can pkg_nofetch determine if a file is already downloaded?
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2018 15:57:52
1 >>>>> On Mon, 15 Oct 2018, Michael Haubenwallner wrote:
2
3 > in pkg_nofetch, beyond to "direct the user to download relevant
4 > source files", I've found it useful to tell the user which
5 > filesystem directory to put the files into once downloaded.
6
7 > Beyond that, I've also found it useful to tell the user whether a
8 > relevant source file is 'already there' or 'still missing'.
9
10 > Since the EAPI 6 related update to pkg_* phases to not have access
11 > to DISTDIR (even in earlier EAPI) any more, I'm wondering if both
12 > informations are still available to pkg_nofetch in one or another
13 > way.
14
15 DISTDIR was never officially available in any of the pkg_* phases.
16 (This was the case both in EAPI 0, and in PMS as early as 2008.)
17
18 Then again, even in the src_* phases the variable will point to a
19 temporary shadow directory in recent Portage version, not to the real
20 directory containing the distfiles.
21
22 > Any idea?
23
24 > Or is my only option to reduce the information to "all these files
25 > need to be put in your DISTDIR", requiring the user to find out both
26 > the right DISTDIR and which of the listed files are still missing
27 > herself?
28
29 I think there is no good way to tell them more than that. Even if
30 DISTDIR was available in pkg_* scope, users may prefer to drop
31 manually downloaded files into PORTAGE_RO_DISTDIRS, which is a Portage
32 specific location.
33
34 Ulrich