From: Ed Grimm <paranoid@××××××××××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] mailwrapper
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2004 05:19:57
1 On Mon, 8 Mar 2004, Grant Goodyear wrote:
2 <snip>
3 > As far as bloat
4 > goes, the mailwrapper binary is about 7K in size. Now one could
5 > reasonably argue that any unnecessary programs on the system constitute
6 > unwelcome bloat, but in this case I believe that the flexibility that a
7 > /usr/sbin/sendmail wrapper offers more than makes up for it. I suspect
8 > that I'm not the only Gentoo user who has wanted to try qmail or exim
9 > but never has because switching MTAs on Gentoo has always meant
10 > unmerging the already-working MTA.
11
12 Note: The following comes from the perspective of someone running a
13 Gentoo system with only a 2G harddrive.
14
15 Agreed, although, as I've only worked with Gentoo for a brief while, the
16 block has more been the fact that the various non-sendmail MTAs I've
17 looked into all install their sendmail compatibility code along with
18 their own binaries, regardless of the installer's desire, unless a fair
19 amount of effort is put in to prevent that.
20
21 As I'm not ready to switch, that translates to me not being ready to
22 try, because to try is to switch.
23
24 This would remove that problem.
25
26 That being said, I can't conceive of anything which would compel me to
27 install a gratuitously standards non-conforming SMTP server.
30 Ed Grimm
33 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list