From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: New "Accept Github contributions" metadata flag
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2020 16:00:04
1 On Tue, Aug 18, 2020 at 8:05 AM Joonas Niilola <juippis@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > Hey,
4 >
5 > some of you may already have seen the new packages.gentoo.org page,
6 > https://packages.gentoo.org/
7 >
8 > and the new maintainer pages in it,
9 > https://packages.gentoo.org/maintainers
10 >
11 > If you open a maintainer page,
12 > https://packages.gentoo.org/maintainer/juippis@g.o
13 >
14 > you can see a tab called "pull requests" there,
15 > https://packages.gentoo.org/maintainer/juippis@g.o/pull-requests
16 >
17 > with description saying:
18 > "If you also like to help the Gentoo project, you can consider sending a
19 > Pull Request via GitHub.
20 > Before doing so, you might want to take a look at the wiki page."
21 >
22 > I'm suggesting of adding a new metadata flag to our Wiki's
23 > User:/Project: page which then prints a message to this page saying
24 > whether the maintainer (be it project or user), "accepts" or "deals
25 > with" Github contributions. The wording can be a bit better, but it'd be
26 > there to **notify** our **contributors** whether their time and effort
27 > will most likely be wasted making a pull request for this particular
28 > maintainer.
29 >
30 > This note would then be displayed in every package the maintainer is
31 > assigned to,
32 > https://packages.gentoo.org/packages/media-libs/rlottie/pull-requests
33 >
34 > I'd imagine a simple switch in Wiki could do it. No need to add anything
35 > to ::gentoo repo. The switch can be visible in User:/Project: page, but
36 > it doesn't have to. Unspecified metadata flag would print something like
37 > "This maintainer hasn't specified whether they handle Github pull
38 > requests. If you wish to help using Github, please also open a bug prior
39 > to that and link your pull request commit to that bug (add link to
40 > glep-66 here)". Or just default it to "No."
41 >
42 > Note that the bug text could always be displayed nevertheless, since
43 > that is still the main channel to communicate with maintainers.
44 >
45 > It's undeniable we get a lot of pull requests and unfortunate that many
46 > are left without any attention to rot.
47 > https://github.com/gentoo/gentoo/pulls
48 >
49 > I think this would serve both parties - devs and contributors, with
50 > little to no cost.
51
52 Your proposal makes sense to me.