From: Joonas Niilola <juippis@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] RFC: New "Accept Github contributions" metadata flag
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2020 12:06:04
1 Hey,
2
3 some of you may already have seen the new packages.gentoo.org page,
4   https://packages.gentoo.org/
5
6 and the new maintainer pages in it,
7   https://packages.gentoo.org/maintainers
8
9 If you open a maintainer page,
10   https://packages.gentoo.org/maintainer/juippis@g.o
11
12 you can see a tab called "pull requests" there,
13   https://packages.gentoo.org/maintainer/juippis@g.o/pull-requests
14
15 with description saying:
16 "If you also like to help the Gentoo project, you can consider sending a
17 Pull Request via GitHub.
18 Before doing so, you might want to take a look at the wiki page."
19
20 I'm suggesting of adding a new metadata flag to our Wiki's
21 User:/Project: page which then prints a message to this page saying
22 whether the maintainer (be it project or user), "accepts" or "deals
23 with" Github contributions. The wording can be a bit better, but it'd be
24 there to **notify** our **contributors** whether their time and effort
25 will most likely be wasted making a pull request for this particular
26 maintainer.
27
28 This note would then be displayed in every package the maintainer is
29 assigned to,
30   https://packages.gentoo.org/packages/media-libs/rlottie/pull-requests
31
32 I'd imagine a simple switch in Wiki could do it. No need to add anything
33 to ::gentoo repo. The switch can be visible in User:/Project: page, but
34 it doesn't have to. Unspecified metadata flag would print something like
35 "This maintainer hasn't specified whether they handle Github pull
36 requests. If you wish to help using Github, please also open a bug prior
37 to that and link your pull request commit to that bug (add link to
38 glep-66 here)". Or just default it to "No."
39
40 Note that the bug text could always be displayed nevertheless, since
41 that is still the main channel to communicate with maintainers.
42
43 It's undeniable we get a lot of pull requests and unfortunate that many
44 are left without any attention to rot.
45   https://github.com/gentoo/gentoo/pulls
46
47 I think this would serve both parties - devs and contributors, with
48 little to no cost.
49
50 -- juippis