From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Creating multiple "installations" on the same host
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 21:31:23
1 On Tuesday 23 March 2004 20:57, Joseph Booker wrote:
2 > Mike Frysinger said:
3 > > what if he wants to crosscompile
4 > > -mike
5 >
6 > ENVIRONMENT OPTIONS
7 > ROOT = [path]
8 > Use ROOT to specify the target root filesystem to be
9 > used for merging packages or ebuilds. Defaults to /.
12 > for merging the packages..........$ROOT sounds like to me (and I havn't
13 > checked) that when an emerge is done, when it 'merges' /..../image with /,
14 > it insteads merges it with $ROOT, for example, if $ROOT was /usr, then all
15 > the files installed in /etc would to got /usr/etc, all in /usr/bin goto
16 > /usr/usr/bin, etc.
17 >
18 > But that is only my guess
19
20 It should also add the package metadata to /var/db/pkg
21 As the world file is obviously installation related it should also be used
22 from the ROOT variable, not from / (if it doesn't it would be a bug)
23 make.conf should probably be configurable from another environment variable,
24 but it would probably an enhancement.
25
26 Paul
29 Paul de Vrieze
30 Gentoo Developer