From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: steev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Hosting daily gx86 squashfs images and deltas
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2014 15:52:38
1 Dnia 2014-01-27, o godz. 01:35:52
2 Steev Klimaszewski <steev@g.o> napisał(a):
3
4 > On Sun, 2014-01-26 at 21:00 +0100, Michał Górny wrote:
5 > > Hi again.
6 > >
7 > > If someone is interested in the results of my tests and benchmarks,
8 > > I've uploaded the initial version of my article on the topic in our
9 > > dev-space.
10 > >
11 > > http://dev.gentoo.org/~mgorny/tmp/squashfs-deltas.pdf
12 > >
13 > > I am terribly busy with the uni right now so it will take some time
14 > > before I continue working on it. I will try to provide a final
15 > > specification for the first attempt at the idea and ask infra if they
16 > > are ready to sacrifice the hardware for it.
17 > >
18 > > Further possible improvements:
19 > >
20 > > 1. switch to LZ4 (stronger compression, even faster) -- will require
21 > > a newer kernel (3.14?),
24 > While the stronger compression, and being faster is definitely nice,
25 > having portage on squashfs is really nice on ARM devices, however the
26 > number of them that have a decently running kernel newer than 3.8 are
27 > few and far between, so I'd like to ask that this be held off as long as
28 > possible. I know these are just possible improvements, but doing so
29 > would definitely alienate a really good place where this would shine.
30
31 I think that if we decide to do the switch, we will host multiple
32 formats at least for some time. It won't be really helpful to prevent
33 people from upgrading their kernel due to new repo archive format :).
36 Best regards,
37 Michał Górny