From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] One-Day Gentoo Council Reminder for June
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 21:56:56
1 On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 2:24 PM, Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o> wrote:
2 > Doug Goldstein wrote:
3 >>
4 >> Doug Goldstein wrote:
5 >>>
6 >>> Brian Harring wrote:
7 >>>>
8 >>>> On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 03:06:17AM +0000, Mike Frysinger wrote:
9 >>>>
10 >>>>>
11 >>>>> This is your one-day friendly reminder ! The monthly Gentoo Council
12 >>>>> meeting is tomorrow in #gentoo-council on irc.freenode.net. See the
13 >>>>> channel topic for the exact time (but it's probably 2000 UTC).
14 >>>>>
15 >>>>> If you're supposed to show up, please show up. If you're not supposed
16 >>>>> to show up, then show up anyways and watch your Council monkeys dance
17 >>>>> for you.
18 >>>>>
19 >>>>> For more info on the Gentoo Council, feel free to browse our homepage:
20 >>>>> http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/council/
21 >>>>>
22 >>>>
23 >>>> Reiterating the early request, I'd like the council to please discuss
24 >>>> the current status of PMS, if the running of it satisfys the councils
25 >>>> requirements of a *neutral* standard, if the proposed spec actually meets
26 >>>> said standards, and if said spec is actually going to be approved sometimes
27 >>>> this side of '09.
28 >>>>
29 >>>> Effectively, we've watched it essentially progress into a standard that
30 >>>> effectively only the paludis folk are adherent to (if in doubt, ask portage
31 >>>> folk, my sending this mail is indicative of the pkgcore standpoint)- it's
32 >>>> about time the council comment upon it in light of the general view.
33 >>>>
34 >>>> Yes, ciaran shall comment. My request still stands.
35 >>>> Thanks,
36 >>>> ~harring
37 >>>>
38 >>>
39 >>> I'd honestly like to see an official PMS project page i.e.
40 >>> http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/pms/
41 >>>
42 >>> On this page it'd be nice if there was an official link to the current
43 >>> PMS instead of having to rely on grabbing it from random locations i.e.
44 >>> d.g.o/~coldwind/ or d.g.o/~spb/
45 >>
46 >> Allow me to clarify a bit more. I'd like to see a collaborative website
47 >> that developers for all actively maintained package managers can contribute
48 >> to and update providing details about compatibility and implementation of
49 >> the PMS and future additions or revisions of the PMS that will be put forth
50 >> before the Gentoo Council.
51 >
52 > I agree with Cardoe, the specification should be made as useful as possible
53 > to the package maintainers, as accessible as possible by every interested
54 > party and possibly have a regression/conformance test built in (such a small
55 > tree with dummy ebuilds and eclasses) to allow automated validation.
56 > Stronger and well defined versioning should help as well.
57
58 I believe the biggest problem with this list is you have a long list
59 of wants but seem to not want to do
60 any of the work yourself. For the folks making the requests; are you
61 working on doing any of them yourself?
62
63 Otherwise your suggestions are mere recommendations at best.
64
65 -Alec
68 > lu
69 >