From: Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] One-Day Gentoo Council Reminder for June
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 21:24:24
1 Doug Goldstein wrote:
2 > Doug Goldstein wrote:
3 >> Brian Harring wrote:
4 >>> On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 03:06:17AM +0000, Mike Frysinger wrote:
5 >>>
6 >>>> This is your one-day friendly reminder ! The monthly Gentoo Council
7 >>>> meeting is tomorrow in #gentoo-council on irc.freenode.net. See the
8 >>>> channel topic for the exact time (but it's probably 2000 UTC).
9 >>>>
10 >>>> If you're supposed to show up, please show up. If you're not supposed
11 >>>> to show up, then show up anyways and watch your Council monkeys dance
12 >>>> for you.
13 >>>>
14 >>>> For more info on the Gentoo Council, feel free to browse our homepage:
15 >>>> http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/council/
16 >>>>
17 >>>
18 >>> Reiterating the early request, I'd like the council to please discuss
19 >>> the current status of PMS, if the running of it satisfys the councils
20 >>> requirements of a *neutral* standard, if the proposed spec actually
21 >>> meets said standards, and if said spec is actually going to be
22 >>> approved sometimes this side of '09.
23 >>>
24 >>> Effectively, we've watched it essentially progress into a standard
25 >>> that effectively only the paludis folk are adherent to (if in doubt,
26 >>> ask portage folk, my sending this mail is indicative of the pkgcore
27 >>> standpoint)- it's about time the council comment upon it in light of
28 >>> the general view.
29 >>>
30 >>> Yes, ciaran shall comment. My request still stands.
31 >>> Thanks,
32 >>> ~harring
33 >>>
34 >> I'd honestly like to see an official PMS project page i.e.
35 >> http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/pms/
36 >>
37 >> On this page it'd be nice if there was an official link to the current
38 >> PMS instead of having to rely on grabbing it from random locations
39 >> i.e. d.g.o/~coldwind/ or d.g.o/~spb/
40 >
41 > Allow me to clarify a bit more. I'd like to see a collaborative website
42 > that developers for all actively maintained package managers can
43 > contribute to and update providing details about compatibility and
44 > implementation of the PMS and future additions or revisions of the PMS
45 > that will be put forth before the Gentoo Council.
46
47 I agree with Cardoe, the specification should be made as useful as
48 possible to the package maintainers, as accessible as possible by every
49 interested party and possibly have a regression/conformance test built
50 in (such a small tree with dummy ebuilds and eclasses) to allow
51 automated validation. Stronger and well defined versioning should help
52 as well.
53
54 lu
58 Luca Barbato