From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: GLEP 19 -- Gentoo Stable Portage Tree
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 19:41:50
1 On Tuesday 03 February 2004 17:29, Dan Armak wrote:
2 >
3 > I meant a scenario like this:
4 > - foo-1 and mylib-1 are in the stable tree.
5 > - Time passes and mylib-2 and foo-2 enter the main tree.
6 > - One day exploits are found in foo; foo-2-r1 which contains the fixes is
7 > added to the stable tree. It only depends on >=mylib-1, so mylib-2 isn't
8 > added to the stable tree.
9 > - The combination foo-2 + mylib-1 is buggy. But no-one ever tested it,
10 > because foo-2 came out after mylib-2 and that's what everone tested it
11 > with. So the bug will make its first appearence in the stable tree.
12 >
13 > This is an unlikely event but with a big enough tree with lots of
14 > interdependencies it will happen occasionally. Similar things happen
15 > sometimes in the main tree, and we have to change a dep to require the
16 > latest version of a library, not because the library's new functionality or
17 > interface is required, but because the new app version triggers bugs in the
18 > old library version.
19 >
20 > (I'm reminded of the libxml2/libxslt vs. kde docs versioning story, though
21 > that was somewhat different...)
22
23 That's why I am in favor of backporting security fixes unless it is absolutely
24 impossible. The big question is, can we pull that off? I don't know?
25
26 For me a fixed tree means that it does not change unless. And in case a change
27 is unavoidable, it changes as little as possible -> backporting security
28 fixes.
29
30 Paul
33 Paul de Vrieze