From: Dan Armak <danarmak@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: GLEP 19 -- Gentoo Stable Portage Tree
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 17:18:41
1 On Tuesday 03 February 2004 18:05, Kurt Lieber wrote:
2 > On Tue, Feb 03, 2004 at 05:06:01PM +0200 or thereabouts, Dan Armak wrote:
3 > > A bigger inconvinience is that every developer will have to maintain a
4 > > stable tree system image (or real system) to test any off-cycle updates
5 > > he may have to do, often hurrying because of a major vulnerability
6 > > already published. will that be required? Is there a way around it?
7 >
8 > There should be *very* few cases where this happens. For the most part,
9 > devs will only be committing things off-cycle to the stable tree that are
10 > already in the main tree. For example: Another half-dozen exploits are
11 > found in gaim. The gaim herd/maintainer fixes up the new ebuild and
12 > commits it first to the main tree (generally ~masked) and then to the
13 > stable tree (probably as ~stable).
14 >
15 > The only time where I can see a problem is when there is an ebuild still in
16 > the stable tree that no longer exists in the main tree. However, by then,
17 > I would hope all major/critical bugs have been worked out of it, so only
18 > security issues would be a problem.
19
20 I meant a scenario like this:
21 - foo-1 and mylib-1 are in the stable tree.
22 - Time passes and mylib-2 and foo-2 enter the main tree.
23 - One day exploits are found in foo; foo-2-r1 which contains the fixes is
24 added to the stable tree. It only depends on >=mylib-1, so mylib-2 isn't
25 added to the stable tree.
26 - The combination foo-2 + mylib-1 is buggy. But no-one ever tested it, because
27 foo-2 came out after mylib-2 and that's what everone tested it with. So the
28 bug will make its first appearence in the stable tree.
29
30 This is an unlikely event but with a big enough tree with lots of
31 interdependencies it will happen occasionally. Similar things happen
32 sometimes in the main tree, and we have to change a dep to require the latest
33 version of a library, not because the library's new functionality or
34 interface is required, but because the new app version triggers bugs in the
35 old library version.
36
37 (I'm reminded of the libxml2/libxslt vs. kde docs versioning story, though
38 that was somewhat different...)
41 Dan Armak
42 Gentoo Linux developer (KDE)
43 Matan, Israel
44 Public GPG key: http://dev.gentoo.org/~danarmak/danarmak-gpg-public.key
45 Fingerprint: DD70 DBF9 E3D4 6CB9 2FDD 0069 508D 9143 8D5F 8951