From: Kurt Lieber <klieber@g.o>
To: Dan Armak <danarmak@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: GLEP 19 -- Gentoo Stable Portage Tree
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 16:46:00
1 On Tue, Feb 03, 2004 at 05:06:01PM +0200 or thereabouts, Dan Armak wrote:
2 > A bigger inconvinience is that every developer will have to maintain a stable
3 > tree system image (or real system) to test any off-cycle updates he may have
4 > to do, often hurrying because of a major vulnerability already published.
5 > will that be required? Is there a way around it?
6
7 There should be *very* few cases where this happens. For the most part,
8 devs will only be committing things off-cycle to the stable tree that are
9 already in the main tree. For example: Another half-dozen exploits are
10 found in gaim. The gaim herd/maintainer fixes up the new ebuild and
11 commits it first to the main tree (generally ~masked) and then to the
12 stable tree (probably as ~stable).
13
14 The only time where I can see a problem is when there is an ebuild still in
15 the stable tree that no longer exists in the main tree. However, by then,
16 I would hope all major/critical bugs have been worked out of it, so only
17 security issues would be a problem.
18
19 In this case, you're right -- the maintainer would need to have a stable
20 tree around that they could use to test. However, I'm reasonably confident
21 that this will be a very infrequent occurance. If you feel differently,
22 please let me know.
23
24 --kurt