From: Dan Armak <danarmak@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: GLEP 19 -- Gentoo Stable Portage Tree
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 15:37:19
1 On Tuesday 03 February 2004 16:33, Kurt Lieber wrote:
2 > On Tue, Feb 03, 2004 at 03:07:43PM +0200 or thereabouts, Dan Armak wrote:
3 > > And, right now I'm thinking about the developer end of things. It'd be
4 > > more comfortable for me to work with a single cvs tree and keywords.
5 > > Fixing up the rsync end is an implementation detail :-)
6 >
7 > For most cases, this would be exactly how things work -- you use the main
8 > CVS tree and just have an extra set of keywords to administer.
9 >
10 > The only time you'll have to deal with a separate tree is for off-cycle
11 > updates, which are comprised of security updates and major bugfixes. IMO,
12 > this is infrequent enough to outweigh any potential inconveniences to the
13 > dev team.
14
15 A bigger inconvinience is that every developer will have to maintain a stable
16 tree system image (or real system) to test any off-cycle updates he may have
17 to do, often hurrying because of a major vulnerability already published.
18 will that be required? Is there a way around it?
21 Dan Armak
22 Gentoo Linux developer (KDE)
23 Matan, Israel
24 Public GPG key: http://dev.gentoo.org/~danarmak/danarmak-gpg-public.key
25 Fingerprint: DD70 DBF9 E3D4 6CB9 2FDD 0069 508D 9143 8D5F 8951