From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Bugzilla package list editing
Date: Fri, 05 May 2017 06:02:48
1 >>>>> On Thu, 4 May 2017, Jeroen Roovers wrote:
2
3 > Atom Prefix Operators [> >= = <= <]
4 > Sometimes you want to be able to depend on general
5 > versions rather than specifying exact versions all the time.
6 > Hence we provide standard boolean operators:
7
8 > Examples:
9 > >media-libs/libgd-1.6
10 > >=media-libs/libgd-1.6
11 > =media-libs/libgd-1.6
12 > <=media-libs/libgd-1.6
13 > <media-libs/libgd-1.6
14
15 Irrelevant here. The package list in bugs is not a dependency
16 specification, but just a list of qualified package names and
17 versions.
18
19 > PMS does not define what a valid atom looks like, except that it
20 > somehow doesn't describe atoms to begin with, apparently because
21 > that has yet to be replaced with something better, or is perhaps up
22 > to the PM to define. [...]
23
24 PMS got rid of the ambiguous "atom" term 10 years ago, in favour of
25 "package dependency specification": https://bugs.gentoo.org/174322
26 That makes it much more clear where it is supposed to be used, namely
27 in dependencies. (Imagine that! :-)
28
29 > PS: It might be a week before I feel like reading the "don't touch
30 > my stuff" cabal again, so please don't mind if I happen to touch
31 > your stuff while you work out what's wrong with your attitude.
32
33 Not going to comment on this.
34
35 Ulrich