From: Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Bugzilla package list editing
Date: Thu, 04 May 2017 15:43:00
1 On Tue, 02 May 2017 14:32:13 +0200
2 Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > >>>>> On Tue, 2 May 2017, Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn wrote:
5 >
6 > > Also very common is that he changes fully qualified package names
7 > > (which is the correct syntax per [1]) into fully qualified package
8 > > atoms (which is the legacy syntax). Bug 616260 is one such
9 > > example.
10 >
11 > > [1] https://bugs.gentoo.org/page.cgi?id=fields.html
12 >
13 > Can't the stable-bot enforce the correct syntax?
14
15 Correct syntax, you say?
16
17 [1] says:
18 """
19 = Version Dependencies =
20 Sometimes a particular version of a package is needed. Where this is
21 known, it should be specified. A simple example:
22
23 DEPEND=">=dev-libs/openssl-0.9.7d"
24 """
25
26 What happens when you want an exact version? Can you write
27
28 """
29 DEPEND="dev-libs/openssl-0.9.7d"
30 """
31
32 instead? (Don't answer that, keep reading.)
35 [2] says:
36 """
37 Atom Prefix Operators [> >= = <= <]
38 Sometimes you want to be able to depend on general
39 versions rather than specifying exact versions all the time.
40 Hence we provide standard boolean operators:
41
42 Examples:
43 >media-libs/libgd-1.6
44 >=media-libs/libgd-1.6
45 =media-libs/libgd-1.6
46 <=media-libs/libgd-1.6
47 <media-libs/libgd-1.6
48 """
51 PMS does not define what a valid atom looks like, except that it
52 somehow doesn't describe atoms to begin with, apparently because that
53 has yet to be replaced with something better, or is perhaps up to the
54 PM to define. Where the PM is sys-apps/portage, the syntax that someone
55 with the correct privileges managed to add to bugs.gentoo.org without
56 any reconciliation with the community.
57
58 As long as this is not resolved:
59
60 # emerge -vp net-misc/youtube-dl-2017.05.01
61 !!! 'net-misc/youtube-dl-2017.05.01' is not a valid package atom.
62 !!! Please check ebuild(5) for full details.
63
64 and as long as this works:
65
66 # emerge -vp =net-misc/youtube-dl-2017.05.01
67
68 These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
69
70 [ebuild U ~] net-misc/youtube-dl-2017.05.01::gentoo
71 [2017.04.26::gentoo] USE="offensive {-test}"
72 PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_4 -python3_5 -python3_6B
73
74 Total: 1 package (1 upgrade), Size of downloads: 0 KiB
77 I suggest these privileged people try to come to their senses and stop
78 appropriating bits of the Gentoo Project because of differences in
79 opinion.
80
81 I also suggest that the people who half finished the work on getting
82 the Package list going also finish the work and implement rigorous
83 checks for sys-apps/portage compliance, which would actually help
84 present automated target lists to test systems that don't need
85 any mangling, ever again.
88 plz,
89 jer
92 PS: It might be a week before I feel like reading the "don't touch my
93 stuff" cabal again, so please don't mind if I happen to touch your
94 stuff while you work out what's wrong with your attitude.
98 [1]
99 https://devmanual.gentoo.org/general-concepts/dependencies/index.html
100 [2] https://dev.gentoo.org/~zmedico/portage/doc/man/ebuild.5.html