From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Bugzilla package list editing
Date: Thu, 04 May 2017 16:08:11
1 On Thu, May 4, 2017 at 11:42 AM, Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Tue, 02 May 2017 14:32:13 +0200
3 > Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> >>>>> On Tue, 2 May 2017, Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn wrote:
6 >>
7 >> > Also very common is that he changes fully qualified package names
8 >> > (which is the correct syntax per [1]) into fully qualified package
9 >> > atoms (which is the legacy syntax). Bug 616260 is one such
10 >> > example.
11 >>
12 >> > [1] https://bugs.gentoo.org/page.cgi?id=fields.html
13 >>
14 >> Can't the stable-bot enforce the correct syntax?
15 >
16 > Correct syntax, you say?
17 >
18 > [1] says:
19 > """
20 > = Version Dependencies =
21 > Sometimes a particular version of a package is needed. Where this is
22 > known, it should be specified. A simple example:
23 >
24 > DEPEND=">=dev-libs/openssl-0.9.7d"
25 > """
26 >
27 > What happens when you want an exact version? Can you write
28 >
29 > """
30 > DEPEND="dev-libs/openssl-0.9.7d"
31 > """
32 >
33 > instead? (Don't answer that, keep reading.)
36 > [2] says:
37 > """
38 > Atom Prefix Operators [> >= = <= <]
39 > Sometimes you want to be able to depend on general
40 > versions rather than specifying exact versions all the time.
41 > Hence we provide standard boolean operators:
42 >
43 > Examples:
44 > >media-libs/libgd-1.6
45 > >=media-libs/libgd-1.6
46 > =media-libs/libgd-1.6
47 > <=media-libs/libgd-1.6
48 > <media-libs/libgd-1.6
49 > """
52 > PMS does not define what a valid atom looks like, except that it
53 > somehow doesn't describe atoms to begin with, apparently because that
54 > has yet to be replaced with something better, or is perhaps up to the
55 > PM to define. Where the PM is sys-apps/portage, the syntax that someone
56 > with the correct privileges managed to add to bugs.gentoo.org without
57 > any reconciliation with the community.
58 >
59 > As long as this is not resolved:
60 >
61 > # emerge -vp net-misc/youtube-dl-2017.05.01
62 > !!! 'net-misc/youtube-dl-2017.05.01' is not a valid package atom.
63 > !!! Please check ebuild(5) for full details.
64 >
65 > and as long as this works:
66 >
67 > # emerge -vp =net-misc/youtube-dl-2017.05.01
68 >
69 > These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
70 >
71 > [ebuild U ~] net-misc/youtube-dl-2017.05.01::gentoo
72 > [2017.04.26::gentoo] USE="offensive {-test}"
73 > PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_4 -python3_5 -python3_6B
74 >
75 > Total: 1 package (1 upgrade), Size of downloads: 0 KiB
78 > I suggest these privileged people try to come to their senses and stop
79 > appropriating bits of the Gentoo Project because of differences in
80 > opinion.
81 >
82 > I also suggest that the people who half finished the work on getting
83 > the Package list going also finish the work and implement rigorous
84 > checks for sys-apps/portage compliance, which would actually help
85 > present automated target lists to test systems that don't need
86 > any mangling, ever again.
89 > plz,
90 > jer
93 > PS: It might be a week before I feel like reading the "don't touch my
94 > stuff" cabal again, so please don't mind if I happen to touch your
95 > stuff while you work out what's wrong with your attitude.
96
97 As far as I can tell, you are the only person who has a problem with
98 the package list format, and you refuse to adapt to it, or even talk
99 about it in reasonably.
100
101 Having a format that requires no mangling would also require that the
102 list be identical for all arches. That would mean filing separate bugs
103 for any difference in keywording across the entire package list; that
104 seems like quite a lot of work for little benefit.
105
106 The format is meant to be easy to mangle as-needed, not as a
107 straight-up copy/paste.