From: Geert Bevin <gbevin@×××××××.be>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Sandbox suggestion
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 13:31:24
3 >Perhaps gentoo policy could be to make ebuilds reference:
4 >
5 >#!/bin/ebuild-bash
6 >
7 >which by default would be a sym-link to bash, but on a sandbox system would
8 >have the dynamic bash in place?
9 >
10 The problem is not the ebuilds, it's the shell scripts that are
11 distributed along with source packages.
12
13 >I don't know how much of an issue using the wrong shell is, I don't know how
14 >often people will encounter problems, but I do know that when bash got
15 >version skewed (or something) on my Debian system, it was a nightmare.
16 >
17 Having a dynamic bash is not really a problem, most distributions do it.
18 The only problem is cleanly updating glic, ncurses, readline libraries
19 without segfaulting the dyn bash. It's on my todo to find a solution for
20 this, but currently I'm living with a half crashed hd at home and
21 awaiting the replacement before I can really resume the development.