From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: GLEP ??: Critical News Reporting
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 02:24:36
1 On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 21:08:19 -0500 Dan Meltzer
2 <parallelgrapefruit@×××××.com> wrote:
3 | WRT links in file updates, this seems completely backwards. If a user
4 | was admining over ssh, it would be far easier for them to load www.g.o
5 | in their browser vs. copying link from terminal to their browser, but
6 | for that matter, why is ssh relevent wrt links in files, but not when
7 | we are talking about it being lightweight? If a user is not expected
8 | to have a browser to recieve the news, how can they be expected to
9 | have one to view doc's about it.
10
11 The user isn't expected to have a browser on the system on which the
12 news item is being displayed. For example, I have a router box which
13 does not have lynx or X or anything like that which would still be
14 generating news item hits -- expecting me to install a browser on that
15 system to read HTML or XML content is unreasonable. However, admin work
16 on the router is done over ssh, and it's trivial to copy and paste a
17 link from the output of some command on a remote box into a firefox
18 window on my desktop.
19
20 Perhaps I should add a note that news items should not simply be of a
21 "see this link" form, and that any links which are used should only be
22 for reference, not the primary source...
25 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Vim, Shell tools, Fluxbox, Cron)
26 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
27 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm