From: "Stephen P. Becker" <geoman@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Decision to remove stage1/2 from installation documentation
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 15:44:46
1 > Stage1: Changing CHOST= and run ./bootstrap.sh
2 > (well you can do it but it's dumb)
3
4 You can do the same from a stage3.
7 > Stage3: has full cxx/berkdb/ssl/pam/libwrap and all the cruft pulled in
8 > from having use flags enabled thats not easy to get rid of otherwise.
9
10 Fair point, however this is the kind of stuff that most users want
11 anyway. I see the embedded angle you are taking with this argument, and
12 I would counter by saying that folks who are interested in some sort of
13 embedded uclibc type userland probably know what they are doing in the
14 first place.
17 > I don't care what you do with the docs, but the stages 1, 3 need to
18 > stay. stage2 has always been a bonus stage more or less added into the
19 > mix cuz it's a byproduct of stage building (pre catalyst days).
20
21 I don't think anyone has implied that we're not going to distribute
22 stage1 anymore. They are still useful for folks that know what they are
23 doing.
24
25 -Steve
26 --