From: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Why this nonsense has to continue (Was: Some council topics for March meeting)
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2007 16:00:33
1 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2
3 > On Sat, 3 Mar 2007 06:59:02 -0800 Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
4 > wrote:
5 >> > as evidenced by
6 >> > every previous time you've gotten involved with anything I've done,
7 >> > and given how badly you tried to screw up GLEP 42 and how much of
8 >> > my time you wasted doing so, I really don't want to deal with your
9 >> > noise ever again.
10 >>
11 >> Save the adhominem kindly; may not like the fact that at the time you
12 >> had to put forth proposals I had a say on it, but thats the way it
13 >> was.
14 >
15 > It's only ad hominem when it's irrelevant to the discussion. Since the
16 > discussion is whether or not you have anything useful to contribute,
17 > it's not ad hominem. An example of what would be ad hominem in this
18 > situation is saying that you can't contribute because you wear women's
19 > underwear.
20 >
21 AFIAC you're just being rude ciaran. it's perfectly fair to say our people
22 don't think they can work constructively with you, but not to start
23 slagging people off imo.
24
25 <snip glep 42 discussion ancient history>
26 >
27 >> > You also have a lot to gain by wrecking the process,
28 >>
29 >> I gain zero by wrecking the process. Time for another history
30 >> lesson...
31 >>
32 >> Friendly reminder, the only reason EAPI=0 is even being possible is
33 >> because *I* added EAPI, against a fair bit of arguing at the time
34 >> also.
35 >
36 > As I recall, the arguments (at least the sensible, well grounded ones)
37 > were over it being done via an environment variable, which highly
38 > limits the scope of possible changes. The suffix alternative doesn't
39 > have that or any other kind of arbitrary limit.
40 >
41 >> Intention was for the format to evolve (add in bits stated in
42 >> the other email that couldn't be done without breaking things). None
43 >> of the real features folks have asked for can be added without EAPI=0
44 >> defined, thus *I* have an interest in it getting finished.
45 >
46 > Sure they can. Define EAPI 1 in terms of what it changes from existing
47 > practice.
48 >
49 Yeah and some people don't like that approach, which means they want EAPI 0
50 defined as a foundation for future work.
51
52 Thing I don't understand is why spb took it on when he knew he was going to
53 be out of commission with his Uni.
54
55 >> Yes, you may dislike the form EAPI took. Point is, kindly don't
56 >> claim I have anything to gain by blocking the process *I* started.
57 >
58 > Except that blocking PMS blocks the competition, and you've already
59 > shown that you're quite happy to resort to any means at your disposal
60 > to do so.
61 >
62 Blimey he wants PMS finished, but really he wants it blocked to stop
63 Paludis. kool-aid alert!
64
65 >> Don't like your behaviour, and can get pissed off, but that
66 >> doesn't justify the attack. Besides, public ml is the wrong place
67 >> for it.
68 >
69 > No, a public ML is entirely the right place for it.
70 >
71 No once again, ciaran, please take this in: you are supposed to stay polite
72 in this forum.
73
74 > Here's how this thing works:
75 >
76 > * Some people who don't have anything better to do start posting
77 > attacks on PMS because they hate spb or myself. Flameeyes was the first
78 > offender here -- it suited him politically to claim that spb never does
79 > anything, so naturally repeatedly demanding PMS updates was the way to
80 > go.
81 >
82 Point of information: flameeyes never mentioned PMS, *I* did as an aside to
83 another discussion about the insults that are allowed in this forum (which
84 I might add would never be allowed on forums.g.o.)
85
86 <snip a load of stuff about how stupid we all are>
87 > So yes, someone has to sit down and respond to all this idiocy, and
88 > they have to do it in public. If it's left unchecked, PMS is taken to be
89 > a failure.
90 >
91 What rubbish- if the council and the `select few' know it's moving on then
92 there's no need for you to make so much noise. The council will let others
93 know things are cool, and you can silence everyone when you release.
94
95 > In the mean time, trying to keep on top of this particular batch of
96 > noise has amounted to about the time taken to write one and a half
97 > chapters. So, if people really do care about PMS being finished, I
98 > suggest they sit back and wait for a public review copy.
99 >
100 Yeah, can't wait. Can I suggest you stop flaming the list and get on with
101 it ;)
104 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list