From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: EAPI 1 (Was: Re: Monthly Gentoo Council Reminder for April)
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2007 09:41:15
1 Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o> posted 46207158.3070103@g.o,
2 excerpted below, on Sat, 14 Apr 2007 08:14:48 +0200:
3
4 > Adding more build time, requirements (yes, there are some tests that
5 > needs more ram and cpu to complete than the actual build phase) w/out
6 > ways to opt out is just hindering our users.
7
8 Tell me about it. We (I'm involved upstream) had a bug in pan that
9 required ~1.3 gig of memory to compile one of the tests... IF one was
10 using gcc-3.4.x AND >= -O2. I /think/ it was eventually resolved by
11 turning off optimization for compiling the tests (not sure as gcc-3.x is
12 not commonly used any more and I didn't follow the bug to full
13 resolution), but it hit several users, including some Gentoo users back
14 before gcc-4.x went stable, which we were able to help.
15
16 That said, I don't believe /anyone/ is proposing doing something so un-
17 Gentoo-like as not giving the user ways to opt-out. From my read,
18 FEATURES=test would simply be the default, with individual ebuilds able
19 to opt-out via restrict, and individual users being able to opt-out by
20 simply setting the feature off, just as the opt-in by simply setting it
21 on, now.
22
23 I like the idea in general, tho I'd like to see something like
24 FEATURES=bigtest implemented for the biggest/longest/most-resource-
25 intensive/extra-dependencies tests. The extra granularity would give
26 users a no-hassle way to enable tests on most packages, without forcing
27 the huge tests on folks that weren't prepared for them, OR forcing
28 maintainers to turn off (restrict) tests altogether in such cases.
29 Restrict=test could then be reserved for those that are known to be
30 broken, regardless of the resources thrown at them.
35 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
38 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list