From: Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] EAPI 1 (Was: Re: Monthly Gentoo Council Reminder for April)
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2007 06:16:34
1 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > What, you're saying they all ship with test suites that exist but don't
3 > work?
4
5 anything that takes more than 10m to test is broken from an user point
6 of view: you want the application, not having it tested.
7
8 I'd rather keep it in features since tests are _optional_, not necessary
9 to use the applications, just a waste of user time if they aren't
10 concerned (e.g.: nobody but some would care about ffmpeg failing to do
11 bit exact decoding of an ${fringe codec} nobody but who is developing it
12 uses, and surely will be angry at me not being able to get those 20%
13 speed improvements on h264).
16 >> I don't think it shoud be part of the spec even if you don't have test
17 >> broken on delivery.
18 >
19 > src_test is already part of the spec, and ebuilds are supposed to
20 > either support it or RESTRICT it. I'm just proposing that EAPI 1 be a
21 > lot stricter about it...
24 Adding more build time, requirements (yes, there are some tests that
25 needs more ram and cpu to complete than the actual build phase) w/out
26 ways to opt out is just hindering our users.
27
28 lu
32 Luca Barbato
33