From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] More general interface to use flags
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2007 16:02:46
1 On Friday 02 November 2007, Roy Marples wrote:
2 > On Fri, 2007-11-02 at 11:38 -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
3 > > wrong. the point of the discussion on the gentoo dev mailing list is to
4 > > go over the exported API for *ebuilds*, not for the implementation. the
5 > > implementation is already baked and really, Marijn shouldnt have sent it
6 > > to the gentoo dev mailing list in the first place. your pointless POSIX
7 > > conversions have no place in the discussion.
8 >
9 > However, I notice that you have no problem discussing the implementation
10 > of ebuild commits or are they special in some way?
11
12 that's because the point of said discussions *is about the implementation*.
13 this thread is not about the implementation, but about the API. besides, i'd
14 give you the same answer there when you attempt to get people to change
15 perfectly valid (and preferred) code structures.
16
17 > My POSIX conversations encourage the use of POSIX over non portable bash
18 > as that's something I try and encourage. And that is very pertinent to
19 > -dev.
20
21 and the answer is still the same. POSIX conversions are irrelevant until you
22 can propose solutions for the things bash can do but POSIX cannot. you can
23 only provide workarounds or hacks, so any further attempt on the topic is
24 half way conversions that lead to ugly inconsistencies.
25 -mike