From: Jens Hoffrichter <joho@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] the vision for Gentoo
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2003 00:52:58
1 On Sun, Jun 29, 2003 at 01:24:04AM +0800, Michael Kohl wrote:
2
3 > About how to achieve this I'm not quite sure, although the BSD way of
4 > -stable/-current seems to be a viable solution to some of my issues, it
5 > somehow doesn't feel "gentooish" to me.
6 I think this is really a great idea and a step in right direction. I have
7 migrated my personal work boxes not so long ago from Debian to Gentoo,
8 because of the bleeding edge stuff which resides in portage an which is
9 really fast in it after a new release of a software is done (Really nice
10 to see, especially if you had to stay on XFree 4.0.x so long on Debian ;)) )
11 But I'm quite reluctant to put Gentoo anywhere on my servers, because
12 of the moving target Gentoo is, and after having my first 'bad' experience
13 with Gentoo (Done an emerge -u system some weeks ago, after that segfaulting
14 init, ls etc., and today having spent a whole day trying to fix the thing,
15 but XFree still won't compile correctly *sigh*), my opinion is that I have
16 made the right decision until now.
17
18 But a STABLE tree in portage CVS would make the decision to put Gentoo
19 on servers in production environments a lot more easier, when you know
20 that an emerge -u system doesn't break your whole server, but only merging
21 really necessary updates like security updates.
22
23 Nevertheless I hope the release frequency of such a STABLE tree would be
24 a lot higher than the release policy of Debian, which nearly forces you
25 to use the testing distribution if you do not want software which is
26 more than a year 'old'.
27
28 Just my 2 cents.
29
30 Regards,
31 Jens
32
33 P.S.: I hope this mail is more than just "hot air" and my english is not
34 too bad, as I'm quite tired while writing this mail ;)
35 --
36 GPG: 1024D/CF884D50 F2E8 F7FC F823 6464 4E9D EFAB 6EE9 8B9C CF88 4D50
38 Jens Hoffrichter / joho@××××××××.org / Joho@IRC / Fon: 0172/5376989
39 "Entweder sind wir die einzige intelligente Lebensform im Universum,
40 oder wir sind es nicht. Beide Moeglichkeiten sind atemberaubend."
41 - Carl Sagan
44 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list