From: Georg Rudoy <0xd34df00d@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: c++14 global USE flag
Date: Sun, 03 May 2015 14:05:24
1 2015-05-03 1:30 GMT+03:00 Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com>:
2
3 > and python very often *is* saying "Support for python" ( not in, but _for_
4 > )
7 Why should the user care if python is supported? What does python support
8 per se offer to the user? I would argue that what's important are the
9 features exposed via Python stuff (unless the user theyself is expected to
10 write some Python code, of course).
11
12 Same logic applies for C++14, IMHO.
15 > What does it matter to a user that its in C++14 ? It doesn't.
16 >
17 And end user is more concerned with "what does this do for me".
18 >
19 > If a useflag doesn't tell me what it does for me, then what impetus is
20 > there for me to toggle it?
23 The consequences do matter, like pulling and building llvm/clang, if not
24 present already. Toggle it if you're ready to deal with the consequences
25 (having clang in your system, particularly).
26
27 Speaking of llvm, media-libs/mesa has "llvm" use flag. Why should user care
28 if it's llvm or whatever?
31 > For instance, Seamonkey doesn't have a USE=perl flag. Nor should it have
32 > one.
35 Nice example with USE=perl, thanks! git has that, for instance. Without
36 that, `git add -i` won't work, but I still have USE=perl, not
37 USE=add_interactive and possibly a bunch of other features depending on
38 Perl that would pull it when enabled.
41 Georg Rudoy