From: Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: c++14 global USE flag
Date: Sat, 02 May 2015 22:30:48
1 On 3 May 2015 at 10:18, Georg Rudoy <0xd34df00d@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > We have "idn" or "gnutls" or "python" etc USE flags after all, not
4 > "support_international_names_in_blah" or
5 > "allow_secure_news_fetching_in_foo" or "build_scripting_support_for_baz".
6 >
7 > Or I just didn't get you here, sorry me in this case :)
11 The difference is semantics.
12
13 "idn" *is* saying "Support for international names" ( not in, but _for_ )
14
15 and python very often *is* saying "Support for python" ( not in, but _for_ )
16
17 That's "for", not "by". For support *by* python, an explicit python
18 use-flag is not entirely necessary.
19
20 Just like you presently don't have ( and we don't have ) a "USE=c" flag
21 just to make sure you have a C compiler.
22
23 What does it matter to a user that its in C++14 ? It doesn't.
24
25 And end user is more concerned with "what does this do for me".
26
27 If for instance a specific user visible tool became magically available
28 with "USE=C++14", and that was the only tool that became visible as a
29 result, that would, for example, be really silly.
30
31 If a useflag doesn't tell me what it does for me, then what impetus is
32 there for me to toggle it?
33
34 For instance, Seamonkey doesn't have a USE=perl flag. Nor should it have
35 one.
36
37 It does however have a USE=crypt flag, which utilizes perl as part of its
38 work. ( And its only a compile time dependency also ).
39
40 But you seem to want USE=perl # turn on crypt features
41
42 Which is inherently backwards.
43
44 There is still places where that makes a degree of sense, but in cases like
45 "give new user facing features features" an ambiguous "C++" toggle is not
46 going to be communicating intent in an appropriate manner.
49 Kent
50
51 *KENTNL* - https://metacpan.org/author/KENTNL