From: Maxim Koltsov <maksbotan@g.o>
To: "gentoo-dev@l.g.o" <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: c++14 global USE flag
Date: Sun, 03 May 2015 10:19:27
1 2015-05-03 1:30 GMT+03:00 Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com>:
4 > On 3 May 2015 at 10:18, Georg Rudoy <0xd34df00d@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >
6 >> We have "idn" or "gnutls" or "python" etc USE flags after all, not
7 >> "support_international_names_in_blah" or
8 >> "allow_secure_news_fetching_in_foo" or "build_scripting_support_for_baz".
9 >>
10 >> Or I just didn't get you here, sorry me in this case :)
14 > The difference is semantics.
15 >
16 > "idn" *is* saying "Support for international names" ( not in, but _for_ )
17 >
18 > and python very often *is* saying "Support for python" ( not in, but _for_
19 > )
20 >
21 > That's "for", not "by". For support *by* python, an explicit python
22 > use-flag is not entirely necessary.
23 >
24 > Just like you presently don't have ( and we don't have ) a "USE=c" flag
25 > just to make sure you have a C compiler.
26 >
27 > What does it matter to a user that its in C++14 ? It doesn't.
28 >
29 > And end user is more concerned with "what does this do for me".
30 >
31 > If for instance a specific user visible tool became magically available
32 > with "USE=C++14", and that was the only tool that became visible as a
33 > result, that would, for example, be really silly.
34 >
35 > If a useflag doesn't tell me what it does for me, then what impetus is
36 > there for me to toggle it?
37 >
38 > For instance, Seamonkey doesn't have a USE=perl flag. Nor should it have
39 > one.
40 >
41 > It does however have a USE=crypt flag, which utilizes perl as part of its
42 > work. ( And its only a compile time dependency also ).
43 >
44 > But you seem to want USE=perl # turn on crypt features
45 >
46 > Which is inherently backwards.
47 >
48 > There is still places where that makes a degree of sense, but in cases
49 > like "give new user facing features features" an ambiguous "C++" toggle is
50 > not going to be communicating intent in an appropriate manner.
51 >
52 > Well, I can see your point. But I don't see any reasonable alternative ---
53 this functionality can't be generalized by any name, except "c++14" ---
54 that's only thing in common. Moreover, this is (I hope) a _temporal_
55 solution, until there's a gcc with needed level of support. And of course
56 we can put a message about this flag in eclass and/or on LeechCraft site.