From: "Santiago M. Mola" <coldwind@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] The future of ebuild
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 19:44:02
1 On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 12:02 PM, Felipe Contreras
2 <felipe.contreras@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 2:29 PM, Duncan Coutts <dcoutts@g.o> wrote:
4 > > >
5 > > > Why not create a new build system with a state of the art programming
6 > > > language, and an advanced DSL that actually other distributions could
7 > > > use?
8 > > >
9 > > > I would like to hear your opinions on this matter.
10 > >
11 > > Take a look at Nix. It's a distribution-agnostic package manager that
12 > > uses a purely functional DSL for package specifications.
13 > > http://nix.cs.uu.nl/index.html
14 >
15 > That's exactly what I'm taking about :) I'll try it out. Thanks for
16 > sharing the link.
17 >
18 > Is there any interest in the Gentoo community to migrate to Nix?
21 This is not going to happen. "Migrating to Nix" means "rewriting the
22 distro from scratch". If you´re interested in a distro built on top
23 of Nix, you can try NixOS (which looks really nice IMO).
24
25 Regards,
26 Santiago
29 Santiago M. Mola