From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: shentino@×××××.com
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFD: new global USE flag gtk3
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2014 14:28:04
1 On Sat, 15 Mar 2014 11:55:45 -0700
2 Raymond Jennings <shentino@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > If I may ask, isn't usage by 27 packages ample grounds on its own to
5 > make it a global use flag?
6 >
7 > This is one of the questions I noticed on the ebuild quiz, and there
8 > the ballpark is around 5 packages sharing a use flag. we're way over
9 > that mark.
10 >
11 > my two cents.
12
13 What is mentioned there is criteria; however, the very last sentence is
14 what makes the actual global USE flag be able to happen. Quote:
15
16 "Before introducing a new global USE flag, it must be discussed on
17 the gentoo-dev mailing list."
18
19 So, for people to agree on something to be a global USE flag; amongst
20 other things, they need to agree that the USE flag is useful and
21 something we acknowledge we want to use globally. Otherwise I would
22 for instance be able to start a bad idea in the added MATE packages...
23
24 For reference, http://devmanual.gentoo.org/general-concepts/use-flags
25
26 PS: Can you avoid top posting? Like this mail, on mailing lists people
27 commonly type their response after the message such that the context
28 comes first and it is more understandable what is being responded to.
31 With kind regards,
32
33 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
34 Gentoo Developer
35
36 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
37 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
38 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D