From: Matti Bickel <mabi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Moving HOMEPAGE out of ebuilds for the future
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 13:59:37
1 Tomáš Chvátal <scarabeus@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Sunday 30 November 2008 14:23:48 Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò wrote:
3 > > I have a very quick proposal: why don't we move the packages' homepage
4 > > in metadata.xml (since it's usually unique for all the versions) and we
5 > > get rid of the variable for the next EAPI version?
6 > I would rather see something like:
7 >
8 > packagename/metadata.xml
9 > packagename/package-base.ebuild
10 > packagename/packagename-version.ebuild
11 > packagename/Manifest
12 > packagename/Changelog
13
14 Correct me if i'm wrong, but this doesn't address the problem with
15 multiple versions having multiple homepages.
16 I'm with Diego here that this should be *very* rare.
17
18 Can somebody verify this? I mean just throw a little shell script on the
19 portage tree showing which ebuilds differ in HOMEPAGE but still have the
20 same path.. my poor ibook would take too long for such a thing, so
21 sorry, no data here.
22
23 And while your proposal sounds more compliant to the DRY principle, i
24 would object it on the basis that it makes a single ebuild actually
25 harder to understand as you have to read (1) eclasses, (2) -base.ebuild
26 and (3) -version.ebuild.
27 --
28 Regards, Matti Bickel
29 Signed/Encrypted email preferred (key 4849EC6C)