From: Dan Armak <danarmak@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ebuilds for kde3 beta etc.
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2001 03:39:38
1 To repeat and extend what I said:
2
3 On Sunday 23 December 2001 16:13, you wrote:
4 > > > 1. If the FHS say only binary stuff goes in /opt, where would I put
5 > > > several KDEs-in-testing? /usr/kde-$ver?
6 > >
7 > > Whatever makes sense; just don't use /opt.
8
9 On that subject, I'd like to raise once more the issue of KDE placing. Now
10 is the last time we can easily change it, before doing kde3 ebuilds. I
11 still think there should be support for multiple KDEs, which would live in
12 e.g. /usr/kde-$ver each. Juggling paths would be a lot easier.
13
14 The way things work right now - one big kde in /usr, many kdelibs in
15 /usr/lib/kdelibs-$ver - there are the following problems, which will
16 disappear if we place all KDEs (incl. kdelibs) in /usr/kde-$ver and put each
17 app in the dir of the kdelibs to which it links:
18
19 - Many users will want multiple KDEs, with or without ebuilds that support
20 it. It'd be better for us to do it for them, so that things are unified.
21
22 - Some apps don't like living separately from their kdelibs. In particular,
23 noatun doesn't work at all (and apparently is unfixable save by patching the
24 code), mosfet's liquid widgets require a makefile patch (applied), and kdm
25 can't find the user icons (one possible solution is to manually move the
26 icons in src_install). Other problems will likely arise.
27
28 - With one kde in /usr, it can be (from expirience) very complicated to
29 startup a kde that lives elsewhere, since /usr always commes first in the
30 paths.
31
32 - eclasses (and kdelibs & kdebase ebuilds) are becoming more and more complex
33 and tangled to support all this.
34
35 I don't know how FHS-compatible that is (i.e. /usr/kde-$ver), beyond not
36 putting kde in /opt. But I'd really like it to be that way - it would
37 certainly make everybody's life easier.
38
39 Now, I unfortunately missed the orig. kde->/usr thread back when it was
40 discussed. Apparently it was mostly on IRC and not on the mailing lists so
41 the only reason for having kde in /usr I really know is the FHS. There may be
42 other & better reasons.
43
44 Even if we decide to hav only 1 kde, it will still be a lot better no to ahve
45 in /kde. If we have /usr/kde-$ver dirs, each of which will contain a
46 kdelibs-$ver and all apps linked against it, and kde base will live in one of
47 those, it'll be a lot better than it is now. Again, because the kde that
48 lives in /usr has execution priority over any others.
49
50 If we make kde live in /usr, --
51
52 Dan Armak