From: Dan Armak <danarmak@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ebuilds for kde3 beta etc.
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2001 08:40:00
1 On Saturday 22 December 2001 19:28, you wrote:
2 > > 1. If the FHS say only binary stuff goes in /opt, where would I put
3 > > several KDEs-in-testing? /usr/kde-$ver?
4 >
5 > Whatever makes sense; just don't use /opt.
6 On that subject, I'd like to raise once more the issue of KDE placing. Now is
7 the last time we can easily change it, before doing kde3 ebuilds. I still
8 think there should be support for multiple KDEs, which would live in e.g.
9 /usr/kde-$ver each. Juggling paths would be a lot easier.
10
11 The way things work right now - one big kde in /usr - there are the following
12 problems:
13 - Many users are bound to put other KDEs in other lpaces, with or without
14 ebuilds. It'd be better for us to do it for them.
15 - Some apps don't like living separately from their kdelibs (noatun, kdm,
16 mosfet's widgets...)
17 - A KDE dev called us "redhattish" :-(
18
19 I don't know how FHS-compatible that is (i.e. /usr/kde-$ver), beyond not
20 putting kde in /opt. But I'd really like it to be that way - it would
21 certainly make life easier.
25 Dan Armak
26 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop Team
27 Matan, Israel