From: Henti Smith <bain@×××××××.za>
To: method@g.o
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o, sergey@××××××××××.com
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] emerge with interacitve use
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 19:04:46
1 > This solution doesn't scale well, it would be impossible to emerge system
2 > and expect this to be sane, additionally the lack of sticky use vars means
3 > you can have unexpected support/lack of support after upgrading..
4
5 It's not impossible ... just highly time wasting ... ;P
6
7 > and digging through ebuilds? have you ever looked at emerge -h?
8
9 yes ...
10
11 > tachyon root # emerge -vp vim
12 >
13 > These are the packages that I would merge, in order:
14 >
15 > Calculating dependencies ...done!
16 > [ebuild N ] app-editors/vim-core-6.2_pre2 -gnome +gpm -gtk -gtk2 +ncurses +nls +perl +python -ruby +X
17 > [ebuild N ] app-editors/vim-6.2_pre2 -gnome +gpm -gtk -gtk2 +ncurses +nls +perl +python -ruby +X
18
19 some are lazy ... ;P
20
21 I'd rather do that .. then ID the ones that Iw ant to interactivly merge .. merge them .. then emerge world ;P
22
23 > look, tells you exactly how your use flags are going to affect the build
24 >
25 > USE="-X" emerge -vp vim and observe...
26
27 I know this .. and do this currently ... I was making a comment .. and suggesting a way :)
28
29 > additionally, we now have this great program for managing the plethora of USE vars called 'ufed' (app-admin/ufed).. that way you don't forget which are
30 enabled/disabled, you can look through them all and turn on/off the support you desire.. it's a nice program, well worth emerging..
31
32 hmmm .. I'll def look into that :) thanks
33
34 Henti
37 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list