From: John Helmert III <ajak@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] pam: thoughts on modernizing pam_limits configuration that Gentoo ships with
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2022 03:24:45
1 On Mon, Dec 12, 2022 at 11:26:32PM +0100, Piotr Karbowski wrote:
2 > On 12/12/2022 23.06, Sam James wrote:
3 > > It's unusual to have discussion about a single package on the mailing lists. I tend to keep an eye on PAM
4 > > bugs because I maintained pambase.
5 > >
6 > > Bugs are the primary method of discussing changes to packages.
7 >
8 > You really came strong on this one. I did explain why it went to mailing
9 > list, that very few people would notice bug on undeclared
10 > maintainer-needed package, unlike mailing list, assigning it to zlogene
11 > and hoping for few people to catch it up, yet you still zealously
12 > challenge it.
13
14 You did explain, somebody else still disagreed, I don't think that
15 should be taken personally?
16
17 > I feel really burnt out from this exchange and I see that you already
18 > base-system'd the sys-libs/pam tactically preventing me joining and
19 > introducing changes, last time I wanted join base-system there was push
20 > back and I was informed that only invited members can join. Do your
21 > thing Sam, I will step back now and will take note to throw ideas into
22 > void of bugzilla next time.
23
24 pam is a package which is pretty obviously in-scope for the Base
25 System project, even from a third party perspective. Based on Sam's
26 most recent reply, that doesn't like it was a mechanism to prevent you
27 from contributing? And since you seem to have taken it that way, why?
28 If that were the case, I'd think the Base lead (sam) would've told
29 you, and he hasn't (quite the opposite!).
30
31 > -- Piotr.