From: Chris Bainbridge <chrb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] non-Gentoo stuff in our CVS
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2004 11:48:07
1 On Thursday 07 October 2004 21:59, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2 > In the
3 > second case, many devs signed an agreement already saying anything they
4 > wrote and added to Gentoo CVS is Gentoo's.
5
6 This always seemed like an odd policy to me. Linus doesn't require
7 contributions to the kernel to have copyright assigned to him, and I don't
8 see why we need to. In fact, it works against our ability to enforce
9 copyrights. Suppose that some UK company starts breaking the copyright of
10 gentoo in some way, despite the fact that I have written ebuilds etc. I now
11 have no way of taking legal action against them, as I no longer have any
12 legal control over my contributions.
13
14 Instead of having a large globally distributed group of people each capable of
15 taking legal action against infringers, we now have one
16 NFP legal entity that afaik exists (legally) only in 1 US state.
19 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list