From: Bret Towe <magnade@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Making the developer community more open
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 23:51:38
1 On 3/20/06, Daniel Drake <dsd@g.o> wrote:
2 > "more open"? I can't think of a decent way to phrase the subject line
3 > which might make it sound it was coming from a native English
4 > speaker..ahem..anyway:
5 >
6 > I read a complimentary comment from a Gentoo user recently (can't
7 > remember exactly where, so this is from memory). It was something along
8 > the lines of "Gentoo is great and will continue to be great for the
9 > foreseeable future. You have built the required structure to keep up
10 > with the rate of change in your environment (i.e. the increasingly rapid
11 > rate of development of open-source sofware)."
12 > (if anyone can point me to where I read that, I'd appreciated it).
13 >
14 > I think there's a lot of truth in that, especially the way that he/she
15 > highlights the fact that simply keeping up with what goes on around us
16 > is key to our "survival".
17 >
18 > I won't go as far to say that I *don't* think we can keep up with our
19 > current "system", but I think there is plenty of room for improvement.
20 >
21 > One of the bigger problems is that we have a huge user community who are
22 > keen on contributing, but we have such a high barrier for entry to the
23 > developer community. Quite rightly so - we're dealing with a live tree,
24 > so we can't give out commit access on the street.
25 >
26 > At the same time, I feel that we're missing out. Comparing Gentoo with
27 > some other large open-source communities that I am personally involved
28 > in, I feel that we're too closed.
29 >
30 > A developer recently compared Gentoo dev-ship to a marriage. In an ideal
31 > world, sure, we'd love for every single person who makes any kind of
32 > contribution to the project to become a full-time contributor who never
33 > goes AWOL or sleeps with another project. But more realistically, I
34 > think we need to become more open and flexible - as volunteers, people's
35 > interests change, some people will stop contributing after they have
36 > fixed whatever problem motivated them to contribute, etc. How can we
37 > handle this better?
38 >
39 > We have a large expense on both sides when adding a developer to the
40 > project. I personally have lost developer candidates, undoubtedly more
41 > technically experienced than myself, who simply did not have the time to
42 > go through a month-long recruitment process which involved studying
43 > various documents not even relevant to the small area they would be
44 > contributing to. On the other side, it's a fair expense to add a
45 > developer to the project due to all of the
46 > quizzing/assessing/account-creating/access-elevation/...
47 >
48 > Additionally, a significant percentage of developers who have joined
49 > recently have gone AWOL after a few months. That hurts us, given the
50 > expense we went through recruiting and adding them, and the time needed
51 > to reverse that and retire them.
52 >
53 > I am not claiming this is an easy problem to solve - we do need to be
54 > especially careful that any changes made do not decrease the quality of
55 > commits to the live portage tree. This is why I am asking for help.
56 >
57 > I'm looking for ideas - preferably big, drastic, shiny ones. Ignore any
58 > issues relating to migration away from our current system. What would be
59 > the _ideal_ way for Gentoo to handle contributions from anyone? (note
60 > that I'm dropping the user/developer community separation in that
61 > question, as the boundary between those could change in these ideas)
62 > How would an ideal recruitment process work, if there would be one at all?
63 >
64 > Please try and keep replies on-topic - I'm not trying to start a
65 > discussion/flamewar on the current recruitment system or anything like that.
66 >
67 > To get you thinking, I suggest reading the section titled "Open
68 > Development Team" at
69 > http://www.samspublishing.com/articles/article.asp?p=23200&seqNum=3
70 > which is part of a (very good) larger article detailing why Linux kernel
71 > development works so well.
72 >
73 > Any ideas?
74
75 perhaps having some proxys of a sort that accept patchs and such
76 from trusted users that would commit fixes to portage would help.
77 similiar to the kernel format that way users can 'commit'/help out quickly
78 without having to go thru the long process of becoming a dev
81 > Daniel
82 > --
83 > gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list
88 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list