From: Mike Auty <mike.auty@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Making the developer community more open
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 01:10:39
1 Well,
2 I think a lot of what I've been thinking recently has already been said
3 by Daniel. I'm actually in the middle of being inducted and I'm just
4 concerned that I'm going to get extra responsibility without any real
5 positive aspects for me. I don't really *want* access to check into
6 portage, I don't know what I'm doing (yet) and I'm not certain I can
7 invest the time to learn all the precise policy to ensure I don't make a
8 mistake, or worse put up with the stress of worrying I'll do it wrong
9 and affect the entire gentoo vmware-using userbase.
10 What I tend to do is make ebuilds for things that I want to try out or
11 things that are broken, and I'd really like to just keep on doing that,
12 but have it more accessible to the rest of the userbase.
13 I think the idea of a proxy is a good one. I don't know about a whole
14 user repository though, because as Ciaran pointed out, one bad apple and
15 everybody gets rooted. No one would trust it, so it wouldn't be worth
16 it anyway.
17
18 * It'd be a good idea to have a larger group of devs not dedicated to a
19 particular project, but who can take user submitted ebuilds, vet them
20 for nastiness, and submit them. They'll be officially contributed
21 ebuilds, they won't get updated until either a dev offers to take them
22 on, or the community offers to fix them.
23
24 * I think also a larger number of bugzilla scouring devs could push
25 through well tested (lots of positive feedback, no negative feedback)
26 patches that the maintainers for whatever reason (aren't there, forgot
27 about it, don't have the time) just aren't putting through. That would
28 require bending the maintainer etiquette a bit though.
29
30 * I guess a *quick* concise policy guide would help. Separate from the
31 ebuild guide which is trying to teach you *how* to write ebuilds, this
32 policy guide would tell you what MUST and MUST NOT happen in a good
33 Quality Assured ebuild. For instance, if the various and sundry checks
34 in repoman could be extracted for people to run over their own overlays
35 without all the main portage cvs machinery in there, it would help them
36 get *much* better trained in what makes a good ebuild and what doesn't.
37 If it can already do that, then it needs better documentation.
38
39 * Finally the mentoring scheme could perhaps be more streamlined. So
40 rather than having an all-or-nothing gentoo developer membership. Those
41 developers being mentored have a repoman-like interface that works
42 almost exactly the same way, but instead of putting directly into0 the
43 tree, it would submit to a holding area where an experienced ebuild
44 writer can either send it back to them with comments, or put a tick next
45 to it and pass it into the main overlay. This then would allow people
46 to work up to becoming a full dev, and take their time over it. It
47 would also offer a kind of buffer area for people who just want to help
48 for a few months, their privilege levels don't have to rise too high.
49
50 So these are some ideas. Sorry, I was trying to get these out
51 concisely but tripped on my tongue somewhere along the way, hope they
52 help generate some ideas...
53 Mike 5:)
54 --
55 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list