From: Roy Marples <uberlord@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Network configuration and bash
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2007 19:15:05
1 On Tue, 6 Feb 2007 19:27:40 +0100
2 "Fernando J. Pereda" <ferdy@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Tue, Feb 06, 2007 at 06:17:16PM +0000, Roy Marples wrote:
5 > > Hi List
6 >
7 > Hi Roy,
8 >
9 > > [snip]
10 > >
11 > > So, to free baselayout of forcing bash down our throats I/we am/are
12 > > looking at re-writing our network setup, including configuration.
13 > >
14 > > Who's got any bright ideas for a new config then? Lets brain storm!
15 >
16 > It is a good format and easy to write and parse in C, why change it ?
17 >
18 > Just tell people to stop treating config files like bash scripts and
19 > everything will be fine.
20 >
21 > Or am I missing something?
22
23 Well, the stuff in /etc/init.d/ and /etc/conf.d will stay as shell
24 scripts - just not bash specific scripts.
25
26 The stuff that handles our networking maybe written in A.N.
27 Other-Language (Mrs.), but keeping /etc/conf.d/net readable by a shell
28 script does have advantages.
29
30 Thanks
31